Saturday, March 10, 2012

Getting the Brand back together...

It's been way too long since I feel like I created something new.  Something really new.  Like, going on 8 years too long.  Now I've written songs...poems...made a pretty awesome sandwich or two in the past 8 years...but I'm talking about something bigger, more creative, more life-changing, more tangible.

A project.  An album.  A product.

And 8 years in the music world is pretty much a lifetime to have not released anything really new.  At least that's how it feels.

If my last album was a child, he would be in 3rd grade right now...

Which brings me to my goal: to actually release something new.  But you can't just write and record some new songs and call it a release...  What does that look like?  What does it sound like?  What does it feel like?  How am I going to present that something new to the world?  How can I make sure that people will connect emotionally to it?  And hell, how can I get them to buy it?  Something is telling me that now is the time to go big with this.  So here it is...the biggest idea of all:

I am re-branding myself as a musician.

What does that even mean?  Well...

It means that I am doing more than just throwing together previously unreleased songs and posting them on iTunes.  It includes a new identity, so to speak, for Laura Glyda.  It entails coordinating everything from a new website to new press photos to a new album to new logos and artwork to new songs and most likely a new haircut.  I will need to promote and promote and promote some more, and create and incorporate everything I have ever wanted to do with my music up to this point that I haven't done.  It means exploring my voice and my strengths and my weaknesses.  It could even mean new styles, new instruments, and even a band.  Yep.  I said it.  A band.  All for the sake of that product.  It is not just a CD with a barcode and a sticker that is impossible to remove.  (Although that does make it feel much more legit...)  It is my life's work in the palm of someone's hand.  On their playlist.  In their headphones.

For a girl with motivational ADD, this is a very overwhelming challenge.

At the same time, it's a refreshing and exciting revival of my passion.  My identity as an artist.  My contribution to the world in general.  And it's going to require focus, resourcefulness, persistence, creativity, patience, imagination, selfishness, determination, fearlessness, independence, discipline, courage, and love.

I guess I'm writing all this down and sharing it for two reasons.  For one, I am holding myself accountable for this goal by putting it in writing.  And two, because at some point, I may look to any given person in my life for any or all of the aforementioned things if I need help finding them.  (I might also need a good drummer...those are pretty hard to find...)

So here goes nothing.  Whether or not music is done with me, I am not done with music.







And I'm serious about the drummer...


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You go girl. You can do it. You will do it and it will be amazing, inspirational and it will sell. A lot. Trust your heart. I'll help out however I can!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home